Posted on March 01 2017
A greener life is a more satisfying life. How do we know? We live it (and we’re very satisfied!!). Not only is it better for the environment, but it feels good too, and it saves you money to boot.
Here are 9 easy steps to take that take the abstract “have a smaller carbon footrint” into small specific actions that actually make a big difference.
Each minute of water running through a faucet equals to about 2 gallons. Here’s how to save lots of this precious liquid.
1. Turn off the faucet when you brush your teeth.
2. Time your shower. Keep it at 5 minutes. That’s all you really need.
3. Place a bag of rocks in your toilet tank. It’ll reduce the volume of each flush, thus reducing the amount of water each time you use it.
PLASTIC, NOT SO FANTASTIC
While plastic is undeniably practical, it’s filling our oceans and earth, polluting our beaches and damaging our wildlife. These simple steps help.
4. Use canvas bags for groceries instead of plastic. Easy.
5. Avoid straws and plastic utensils. Single use plastic products comprise a huge percentage of garbage and there’s truly no need to use them. Over 500,000,000 plastic straws are used each day in the United States alone. Let that sink in.
6. Use a refillable water bottle. Metal or glass. They’re way more stylish.
If forests are the lungs of the earth, paper and single use products are the cause of asthma.
7. Go paper-less. Bills, emails, filing. All can be done online. Unsubscribe from junk mail and catalogs. Less paper means fewer trees chopped down.
8. Avoid single-use chopsticks. 80 billion (with a B) disposable chopstick pairs are used every day in China alone. Imagine the amount of wood that takes.
9. Plant a tree (or 10). You will help create oxygen.
The earth and your wallet will benefit!
PS: If you want to learn more, check out this link with some amazing organizations worth supporting.